Pumpkin Chorizo Cannelloni
Pumpkin is definitely the cool kid at the party right now. The blog/Pinterest/Twitter world has gone ga-ga for the gourd, and it isn’t officially fall yet. Fact is, I’ve become a pumpkin-eating zombie just like the rest of ‘em! If you’ve been following me on Twitter, you’ll know my Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte count is up to 6 now. (I’m completely ignoring the fat and calorie count, of course!)
This time of year, my husband always braces for… or should I say dreads… my constant stream of pumpkin soups, dinners and desserts. He does not share my obsession for the seasonal ingredient! More for me, Yay! I say we seize the pumpkin season. It only comes around once a year… so blow it out!
I saw a recipe on Pinterest for Pumpkin Cannelloni and thought it looked amazing, but I decided to modify it to what I had on hand and spice it up a bit by adding the chorizo. It’s a pumpkin lover’s DREAM! It just doesn’t get any more “fall” than this… Pumpkin, sage, chorizo… total fall comfort food! It paired well with a nice glass of Chardonnay. All that’s left to do is break out my favorite argyle sweater, trench coat, knee high boots and skinny jeans and I’m ready to dive head first into fall!
This is the first time I’ve ever cooked with fresh sage and it made the house smell so savory… like a hunting cabin! (First thing that came to mind!)
Canned pumpkin makes this filling a snap to put together!
Just boil oven-ready lasagna for 2 minutes, brush lightly with oil, drop in your filling and roll!
Awww… they’re so cute and snug, ready for the oven.
Pumpkin Chorizo Cannelloni
Adapted from Country Living.
(makes 6 Cannelloni)
3/4 cup canned puree pumpkin
1/2 cup ricotta
4oz ground chorizo
3 garlic cloves, chopped
3 fresh sage leaves, chopped, 4 leaves reserved
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
6 oven ready lasagna sheets
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in small sauce pan and saute garlic until golden. Remove from heat and use a pestle to crush garlic into a paste.
3. In a small pan, brown your chorizo.
4. In a small bowl, combine pumpkin, ricotta, garlic paste, chorizo, chopped sage, salt and pepper.
5. In a sauce pan, bring water to a boil and boil your oven-ready lasagna sheets for 2 minutes until tender and drain. (reserve 1/4 cup of the boiled water)
6 Separate the boiled lasagna sheets and place on flat surface, like a cutting board. Gently brush with olive oil to prevent sticking and drying.
7. Put a big spoonful of your pumpkin mixture in the middle of each lasagna sheet and roll them into a tube.
8. Gently brush the bottom of a glass baking dish with olive oil and line the dish with your rolled cannelloni.
9. Pour reserved water over the cannelloni, cover the dish with tinfoil and bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes until heated through.
10. While your cannelloni are baking, melt your butter in a sauce pan with 4 whole sage leaves and cook on medium to medium-high heat until butter is golden brown.
11. Drizzle the sauce over baked cannelloni and serve!
THIS POST IS PROUDLY LINKED UP WITH:
LIVE LAUGH ROWE